Monday, February 20, 2012

Distill America


Last Saturday I got a last minute invitation to go to the Distill America event at the Edgewater in Madison to interview Lincoln Henderson, former Brown-Forman Master Distiller currently promoting his new Angel's Envy bourbon. I jumped at the chance not only to meet a legend in the distilling world but to attend a great event I hadn't gotten tickets for. You can check out my interview with Henderson over at Madison Beer Review, but I wanted to add a few more thoughts what I got to taste at Distill America.

One of the great things about Distill America is that people who ask the right questions can often try special products kept "under the table." This is how I was able to try Woodford Reserve's upcoming release, Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. This is a new permanent product for Woodford, only their second, and it comes out onto the market in a couple of months. It is made by taking the standard Woodford, then finishing it in a second oak barrel which has a unique heavy toast/light char interior. This was a very full bodied and creamy bourbon, with lots of vanilla and spice. It has tons of oak flavor without being tannic. A very welcome new product.

I was also able to try a bunch of new craft distilled products. I tasted my way through the High West portfolio, and especially liked the Redemption Rye and Bourye. Wisconsin's Lo-Artisan makes a very unique rice-based spirit. Texas's Balcones make an interesting blue corn based whiskey, and an unbelievably smoky version of the same. I also really enjoyed the Old New Orleans rums, especially the cajun spice version.

Oh, and Henderson's Angel's Envy is a great whiskey. Light bodied for a bourbon, and a nice fruit note from the port barrel finishing.

Overall, another great event this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment